Mango Sambar



I love mangoes and this blog has given me the opportunity to get a little adventurous in the kitchen. I don’t particularly have a specific fondness for food from any particular region but I do love certain vegetables and curries made using those.

I found this yummy sambar recipe from Sharmis blog but tweaked it according to my taste.

Ingredients:

2 Medium sized raw mangoes
3/4th Cup toor dal
2 Tsp heaped sambar powder
2 Medium sized onions
2 Tsp oil
1/4th Tsp fenugreek seeds (Methi)
½  Tsp urad dal
A pinch of turmeric powder
Salt

To season:

1 ½ Tsp mustard seeds
2 sprigs of curry leaves
2 Red chillies       
1/4th Tsp hing (Asafoetida)

Method:

1.     Wash and wipe the mangoes dry and chop them into bite size pieces.
2.     Pressure cook toor dal for 4 whistles.
3.     Heat kadai, add oil, fenugreek seeds, urad dal, onion.
4.     Once onions turn brown, add the cooked dal and turmeric powder.
5.     Then add 1 cup water (or as you require) and sambar powder, salt and mango. Give it a good stir.
6.     Cook on medium flame till mango becomes transparent.
7.     When done, take a small kadai, heat oil, mustard, curry leaves, red chilli and hing. Once the contents splutter add it to the sambar.



Notes:

·        The original recipe requires tomatoes and tamarind. I didn’t use it as the mango I was using was sour enough.
·        You can also use small sweet onions for this sambar.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Oceanic Velvet Cake with a Mother of Pearl Frosting©

Google Pixel XL - Review

Desitude