Deadpool - What's your favorite F word?



When I watched Deadpool way back in 2016 I was disappointed by all the cuts in the scenes and muting of dialogues. Therefore I ended up downloading it and watched the uncensored version on my laptop. I ended up watching the movie everyday as soon as I woke up for an entire week. That’s how much I loved Deadpool. You can only imagine how excited I was about Deadpool 2! My friend went ahead and booked the tickets and we were all set for the movie on Friday for the 2:55 show. As expected it was house-full and the crowd as always was very ignorant. I am a pop culture enthusiast. I am an 80’s child and I love music and I love my books and I love my actors and I love the characters they play.


James Bond, Flashdance, Logan, Talented Mr. Ripley, X – Men, Green Lantern, Terminator, Top Gun, Ace Ventura Pet Detective, Hulk, Avengers Infinity War, John Wick, Yentil, Frozen,  Batman Vs. Superman, Interview With The Vampire, Basic Instinct, Robo Cop, Indiana Jones, Annie  are some of the most glaring movie references made. Do I even need to begin with the comics? Ah… the scooter, the coffin, the feet, the lazy writing, the ash coloured suit are just a few.


The music? Let’s get to that after the review. DP has a lot on his mind, making babies being one of them. Just when Venessa and Wade are ready to make a family, things go wrong. How wrong? Well DP wets himself in a bar. Tries to off himself but that doesn’t work.  His mangled body is taken to the one place where the mutants are sheltered - the X Mansion. He becomes a trainee only to become a prisoner in the ice box and you just won’t believe who else is sharing space in the ice box. Brad Pitt. Nah.



Of course our anti-hero escapes the prison and forms the X Force who FYI all die except for Domino and that’s when the story begins to take shape. Unlike the previous movie where Wade is trying to come to terms with his burnt ass body here he is trying to overcome the F word. You’ll know which F word when you watch the movie. It is so unlike DP to get preachy but he does and that’s when my heart began to sink but then I reminded myself that the movie wasn’t over.



DP does some soul searching. He manages to get you to root for him and you know that he’s a good guy with a potty mouth and you still love him. Of course there’s Russell, Cable and Domino who all play a very important role in the movie. The movie does a good job of racial, body type and gender representation.



What keeps the movie going? It’s definitely got some squirm worthy fight scenes. If we saw his hands growing in the last movie we see his legs grow in this one and we witness some really basic stuff and instinctively know what Wade is trying to do.



Is the movie as good as the previous one? I don’t think I want to compare the two. As a standalone it does fine but I loved the first installment more. Then the credits started rolling in and I was suddenly enjoying the movie again!



If I had to sum up the movie in one sentence, I’d say it is basically DP meeting a boy going through puberty. As for what happens when you have a raging teenager who doesn’t know the difference between good and bad?  Watch the movie. You’ll be reminded of your teenage days and your choices and most importantly it leaves you with what is rarely told out loud – Kids can change!


Things I enjoyed in the movie? Ah well mostly the way people die. DP comes with such innovative ways! Wonder why these ideas never crossed my mind!

Now coming to the music… Air Supply, Dolly Parton, Celine Dion, Ah-a’s, our very own Udit Narayan and so many, many more are featured in the OST.

Rating: 3.7/5
Recommend: This is a movie for pop culture maniacs like me. I’d recommend it for everybody who wants to 'off' others vicariously ;)



P.S: Unlike its previous installment, this movie doesn’t have nudity just explicit language and references but otherwise is very mellow compared to the first installment. I just don’t understand why this wasn’t given a U/A certificate. To all kids who missed the movie, my heart goes out to you. This after all was the story about a teenager and the other lead actor is just 15 years old. Ah well... we are all lucky that comics aren't censored... yet.



Comments

Anonymous said…
Agree with you. The movie was fun but I liked the first one better.
Bob said…
Deadpool still has his cool quotient intact :)

Popular posts from this blog

The Oceanic Velvet Cake with a Mother of Pearl Frosting©

Google Pixel XL - Review

Desitude