Memoirs of a mooter

The weekend was very interesting. I learnt a few things about myself. That I can be patient, angry, sad, happy and confused all at once. The result is a major giggling fit. I NEVER giggle. People who giggle always annoy me. So I guess I was also annoyed with myself. Apart from my emotional irrationality I FINALLY found one thing that I liked about this guy that I don’t like all that much in my class- He has PRETTY feet! I like pretty feet, never seen them on a guy though.

This weekend I also had the moot court competition. Our team gets the second highest score in the memorials. We won the oral arguments in both the rounds--- BUT we failed to qualify to the next round. Why? I DON”T KNOW! I just got my score sheet via mail. I don’t want to call those people up. So this is IT for me. No more mooting.

I had more fun in Delhi, when we’d been to the Dunant moot which was SO much fun. I enjoyed the journey(48 hrs), during which my friends and I were generally making conversation. The concept of making “FUN” conversation is, nothing you say should be true. I like making up stories. I began saying that I am a direct descendant of Nostradamus. My friend asked me to predict something. So, I said there are going to be blasts in Delhi once we get there. This little piece of conversation was forgotten. Our team on day one made it to the quarters. We went back to our rooms to prep up for the next day. On day two there was a delay because of which our rounds commenced after 12. We had hoped for a free afternoon to loaf about and do some shopping. But our rounds went on till 5. We assembled back in the auditorium along with a few other teams and as soon as we got there we switched on our phones and simultaneously everybody’s phone started ringing . On answering the call, I could hear a frantic voice demanding where I was and if I was still alive. There were 4 blasts that afternoon in Delhi and we were REALLY lucky that we had our rounds beginning late. After that episode I wanted nothing to do with Nostradamus. If I were a believer I’d probably say that I had a hand in the workings of the universe that day. But since I don’t I did not have anything to do with what happened. When we came out of the building the most crowded road of the city was EMPTY. We were in the Supreme Court campus and except for the participants and organizers no one else was out there. The blasts didn’t dampen our stay. We still managed to have some fun.
Come to think of it each moot that I have been to SOMETHING has always happened. The day we reached Mangalore (my second moot) we found ourselves amidst communal riots which began because of a slaughtered cow. Curfew was called. The competition went on without much trouble. The trouble began once we reached our rooms. Thanks to the curfew there was shortage of food. So we had to ration everything. We had no options but to interact with all the teams and for once it was fun especially when we weren’t talking about the competition. We witnessed lathi charges right outside the hotel where we were staying. It was a sad sight.

When we went to Chennai (Stetson Moot), the night we were to leave there was an unrest caused because of the decision of the Cauvery Tribunal. So people from Karnataka were told to stay out of Tamil Nadu. We unlucky creatures were on our way to Tamil Nadu. Thankfully our researcher was a tamilian. We decided that incase we are confronted, she’d do the talking. But fortunately we had no problems.

The second time we went to Chennai there was no problem except that I didn’t like the team :(

In Kerala(First Moot), well we faced eve teasing at the beach. There was an officer patrolling the beach. We’d seen him when we’d arrived. After a while a bunch of boys decided to trouble us. I told my friends that we should leave. KT said she had every right to be on the beach and she would not budge. LS the loco yelled at the morons. KT decided to complain to the officer. (The officer could see what ever was happening, there were families sitting around too, but nobody bothered. I didn’t see why the officer would pay any attention if we approached him.) Nonetheless we approached him. He pointed us in the direction of the police station and told us we could complain there. Apparently he was only supposed to “see” and not “act”. What did we do? Left the beach :)
Mooting has been more than just learning the law for me. It’s been more about adapting to circumstances and people and getting a basic idea about people and their behavior be it my team mates or strangers.

Comments

KLA moot : lol , it's funny when i think about the beach incident now. Remember when we went shopping for shoes, i told you not to buy the shoes because they were quoting an exorbitant price, in kannada, ...... and the shopkeepers turned out to be kannadigas!!!
Yeah, with LS showing off her bargaining skill and proficiency in mallu gibberish

Popular posts from this blog

The Oceanic Velvet Cake with a Mother of Pearl Frosting©

Google Pixel XL - Review

Desitude