Google Pixel XL - Review



I had been meaning to change my phone for over a year and it was then that this phone had caught my eye – The Google Pixel XL. I had read so much about it. Found that a lot of people that I am surrounded by had no intentions of getting it. Here is the thing, my sole reason for investing in a gadget has to do with the following:
·        Its price should be within a certain range i.e it should not burn a hole in my wallet.
·        It should at least be guaranteed that the product will be receiving software support for a minimum of 3 years.
·        It should have excellent user interface to make life easy and be a tool for communication as well as relaxation.
·        It should have a good camera.
·        Its accessories must be easily available in the market.
It’s with the help of this list that I short listed my “This the phone I’d like to own” list
·        Google Pixel XL (128GB) – INR 56,229
·        One Plus 5T (128 GB) – INR 37,795
·        Moto Z2 Play (64GB)  - INR 21,350
(Price of the phones as of 05.03.2018 as per Amazon.)

I almost brought One Plus 5T. When I say almost I didn’t checkout the item it just remained in my cart. I ended up recommending the Moto Z2 Play for my aunt and I was still mulling over the three choices and just like a miracle on 21st January midnight I randomly looked up the Pixel Xl and what do you know? The price was listed as INR 35,990! If I was ready to pay 37.7k for an OP5T, I was sure as hell ready to buy my Pixel at 36K! Buy I did and when it arrived, I turned into Smeagol. My precious was finally in my hands after waiting for a year!


As soon as I opened the box I saw the rapid charger and hooted. Yes, I like my phones charged quickly. It takes me under an hour to have my pixel charged to a 100% after it has reached 15% and is on battery saver. This has been the biggest pro for me.
Once the phone was taken out and admired for being ‘oh so’ light I decided I had to get it dressed. I had purchased a shield for the surface and a back cover. Once the phone was completely accessorised and had the sim inserted I switched on my phone for the very first time.

Google takes you through the steps as soon as you log in with your Gmail and then helps set up your fingerprints to unlock your phone and then go to the play store and check for app updates and when you are done with that, you check for system updates.

My phone currently runs on Oreo and its functioning is ‘oh so’ smooth. A lot of people tend to use a separate launcher for their phones but I find the current layout to be extremely user friendly and since it allows having folders on the home page I have my “frequently used apps” nicely organised for my personal use.

You can customise your home screen in any way that suits your needs. Remember it is your phone; use it any way you want to.

My third favourite thing is the Google assistant and once you have set up a daily routine the GA is the best thing ever. On a personal note, I have always been told I am Bossy and hence I wanted to have an experience where I could just boss around and have everything I said, done. Google Assistant is just that. I just say, “Hey Google” and then give it a command and viola my work is done. It’s so easy to call, mail, check news, increase and decrease volume and respond to chats  - all this while the phone is out of reach and in the room so long as it can hear your command clearly. This feeds my need to be bossy and lazy. (Two things I am not permitted to be in the real world.)

The fourth thing is the way I get to open two different apps/folders/images/video files on my phone and work on them simultaneously. What I loveabout it, is the fact that I get to decide the screen space when I have opened the apps that I am working on. It’s amazing and such a timesaver, as you don’t have to leave your original screen and attend to any interruptions or notifications.

The fifth thing I love is the camera. Of course, the camera. Taking pictures is so effortless when one has a good camera and patience. Especially scenic beauty is captured beautifully on this phone. You shall be seeing examples of camera skills in future posts. Please look forward to it.


Now coming to my top 5 MUST download apps:

·   Solid Explorer – For those who aren’t aware, Google phones don’t have a file manager like most phones and hence one has to download an app specifically for this purpose. For the longest time I used the ES File explorer but when I got the pixel I knew it had to be the Solid Explorer. SE wins over ESFE for one simple reason – No unnecessary ad-on!
·   Google Scan – This beauty of an app lets you scan EVERYTHING. From documents to photographs and I have found this extremely helpful in terms of storing certain records in my email in case of emergencies.
·        Snapseed – Hey, if you are a blogger like us – Snapseed is mandatory. It can make already awesome photographs you’ve taken look very pro in a matter of seconds.
·      Google Keep – As a lawyer/blogger I am constantly making notes. When you are worried about climate change like me and are also lazy to actually contribute to the cause, use Google Keep to make a list of things and save paper. You’ll have managed your good deed for the day.
·       Google Translate – Love your foreign language books? But don’t know what they are saying? Use google translate. Want to get the tattoo done, but are worried you are being conned into having a Chinese menu imprinted on you? Use Google Translate. Have that tee and don’t know what it says? Use Google Translate.


My review of the phone and apps are purely based on my personal interests and I have limited this post to top 5 merely because I need to set a limit or I’ll just go on about every single thing I love about this phone. You can also download PocketCast if you enjoy your daily dose of podcasts. You can add your spouse’s print as an additional print to unlock your phone. You can do so much with it and given that you have Google Drive backing up everything for you and the fact that you have 110 GB out of 128 GB at hand there is so much you can do and so much you can create.

I love new devices, it is like getting to know a person. You discover something new each day.

I hope you enjoyed this post. You can try these apps on your phone too and see if it helps.



Comments

Anonymous said…
Full definitely use the apps seems interesting
Bob said…
Thank you for your comment. Google also provides language apps in the playstore for those looking to improve their Grammar :)
Anonymous said…
Isn't solid explorer a paid app? Is it worth buying? I'm using ES explorer.
Bob said…
Hey! Yes, Solid Explorer is a paid app and costs INR 19.99/- which isn't too much considering the fact that there are no ads, no extra ad ons that come along with ES FE. ESFE isn't that bad. Personally, I like to view my files without being distracted by ads. Hence I chose SE.
Unknown said…
Sorry for the late post on this . I have a Google pixel 2 and yes absolutely love the phone . Just one drawback that it doesn't have an audio jack and works only with Bluetooth headphones.But yah otherwise it's brilliant especially the camera.
Bob said…
Hey Archana! Apparently the trend is shifting to using wireless audio devices hence the word is in the air that most phones by 2020 will be doing away with the audio jack. On a positive note though - you won't be wasting time untangling your earphones ;)

Popular posts from this blog

The Oceanic Velvet Cake with a Mother of Pearl Frosting©

Desitude