Mattar Paneer


Green peas and paneer is such a heavenly combo and whoever thought of it was such a genius! I love this combination so much because I love both peas and paneer and there is something about their combined texture that makes it all the more tasty or I may really just be partial to green peas in general. I like peas in all forms – fresh, frozen, dried, deep fried and seasoned and in curries as well as rice. Hence I am presenting to you one of my favourite dish – Mattar Paneer!

It also gives me immense pleasure to let the world know that this was my first attempt at making mattar paneer and boy did I learn a few lessons!  

So, ladies and gentlemen, don that apron and protect your eyes with ummm… I use swimming goggles and be prepared for some masala rain!

Ingredients:
200 gms Paneer chopped
1 Cup fresh green peas
2 Tbsp fresh cream
1 Tsp jeera
2 Tsp ginger garlic paste
1 Tsp red chili powder
1 Tsp coriander powder
1 Tsp garam masala
1 Tbsp oil
Salt
For Gravy Paste:
1 Big onion diced
1 Big tomato diced
½ inch piece cinnamon
1 clove
9 Cashews
1 Tbsp Oil



Method:

1. Make a paste of all the ingredients listed under “for gravy paste” and set aside.

2. Pressure cook green peas for about 3 whistles and set aside.

3. In a kadai heat oil and add jeera and let it splutter and splutter it will! To this add ginger garlic paste and sauté for a few seconds till the paste looks glazed and golden.

4. Now add the gravy paste, red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala and mix well and let it cook till the raw smell of tomato is replaced with a very spicy tangy aroma. At this point also make sure you put a lid on your kadai and wait. Otherwise, you will end up experiencing the Spanish Tomatina festival in your kitchen with the added goodness of Indian spices.

5. Now add a cup of water ( I used the green peas water from the cooker.)  and stir the gravy in the pot and let it come to a boil.

6. Then add green peas and required amount of salt and cover the kadai. Let the peas cook for about 5 minutes on medium flame.

7. Then add the paneer pieces and give it a quick stir.   
                                     
8. Drizzle some fresh cream for garnish and your dish is ready to serve!

Notes:

1. Matar paneer is cooked in a pressure cooker as the gravy tends to splutter all over the place and I  can’t help but agree as I actually experienced it. How did I know this is cooked in a pressure cooker? Well I actually wondered why my gravy was being so lava and had to look up other blogs and they all cook this particular dish in a pressure cooker!

2. You can also toast the paneer or deep fry as most recipes suggest but I just love using fresh paneer as is and I personally love how it tastes and melts in the mouth.

3. You can also garnish it with coriander.

4. You can reduce the quantity of water if you want to make a dry dish.

You might also enjoy these paneer recipes! CHILLY PANEERPALAK PANEERPANEER BHURJIPANEER BUTTER MASALA & PANEER JALFREZI.

*Hey folks, show us some love by clicking on the FOLLOW button on our blog (it's on the bottom right) Thank you!*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Oceanic Velvet Cake with a Mother of Pearl Frosting©

Google Pixel XL - Review

Desitude