Only A Week

The last time I saw my Great Grandmother was on 3.07.1999. Exactly a week later she passed away. The last time I saw Mukta Ajji was on 12. 10.2003. Exactly a week later she passed away. I saw Jojo last Sunday and today she is gone.


I knew my Ajjamma was old, Mukta ajji was 101 but even after knowing that their age is catching up with them, it in no way comforted me when I knew that I wouldn’t be seeing them again. Because these two ladies were the nicest people I knew. I could talk to them, tell them all my secrets. I knew they loved me and I enjoyed many liberties with them. They also happen to be the only 2 adults who have never scolded me EVER. =)


Hari never came to meet either Ajjamma or Mukta Ajji. He told me that he wanted to preserve a picture of them when they were well and fine and not frail and bed ridden. But every time I look back I see Ma and my Ajjamma sitting together and me diving in between them to get some attention and to tell Ajjamma that I love her so. My favorite memory of Mukta Ajji has me sitting next to her on her bed with my arm on her shoulders and her stroking a very tiny Fenny Girl on her lap and her reminiscing about the times when she had a white Labrador.


The memory of Mukta Ajji lying lifeless never haunted me. She looked peaceful. When her last memory surfaces, I only long for a few more days that I wish I could have spent with her.


I met Jojo for the first time last Saturday. I spent only a little over 24 hours with her. But here is what I know about her.

  1. She is tiny and loves human company.
  2. She drools when she sleeps.
  3. She tilts her head when some one is talking to her.
  4. She is feather light because I did not wince when she walked over my ribs when she heard a loud cracker burst.
  5. She’ll welcome a hug and a tummy rub anytime you want to give her one.
  6. She has a very small voice.
  7. She can sit on my lap without the fear of falling.
  8. She can give a loud barking back to Fenny :)
  9. She loves her family.
  10. She, Fenny and I had the loveliest time sitting together and discussing the manic possessiveness syndrome that they both suffer from.


Sheesh... just 7days later I am writing this. I know a whole bunch of humans who could have died instead of her.

I don’t know how to console my cousin. Everything I want to say is so cliché. I can’t even bring my self to tell her that as humans we are cursed to outlive the only creatures who seem to bring meaning into our otherwise dissatisfactory life. Even knowing cannot prepare someone to cope with the loss that is felt.


P.S: At times like this I like to believe that Ajja and Mamamma are taking care of Jojo, that somewhere in their heavenly living room they have a fish bowl with all my finned pets and are taking care of all other animals who have been there for me like no human has.


P.P.S: Plus imagine, heaven will be much less populated with humans because most of them are definitely going to hell.

Comments

mumofason said…
Thank you achmuni :) I'm sure meeting all you guys made Jojo's last days that much more beautiful.
pranz said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

The Oceanic Velvet Cake with a Mother of Pearl Frosting©

Google Pixel XL - Review

Desitude