Gulab Jamun Cake [Eggless]

 



My favourite Indian dessert is homemade Gulab Jamun. My mother makes them for me every year on my birthday. I love the taste of deep-fried doughy balls soaked in cardamom and rose flavour infused sugar syrup. [Get your minds out of the gutter.] For the longest time I have only ever liked the Gulab Jamuns my mother makes, then one day, my mother in law came home from work and sat on the chair for 2 minutes before she looked at me and said let’s eat Gulab Jamun. Before I knew it, she was in the kitchen, getting the dough and syrup ready. Soon enough the Gulab Jamuns were ready and in the fridge. I didn’t express it but I was just waiting for dinner to be over to eat them Jamuns. When we finally sat to eat it, it was SO good. I texted my mother and said her uncontested Gulab Jamuns now had some serious competition. My mother laughed. As much as I love Gulab Jamuns I have never made them. I am petrified of deep-frying things. I have this deep-rooted fear of oil splashing back in my eyes. Even when I am preparing tempering, I become Manoj Kumar.

Last month my friend’s mom told me that my friend had made Gulab Jamun cake. I love the idea of fusion desserts and the fact that it involved my favourite dessert and my favourite mode of cooking, I was surely going to make it. Aunty had previously shared her delicious Mango Gojju recipe with me. Obviously, I messaged Appu and asked her for the recipe. For 3 whole weeks Gulab jamun mixes were out of stock on Big Basket and our stand-alone store hadn’t stocked it either. Then finally on 1st of this month I got my hands on the mix and made this lovely cake.

I had put this up on my stories and asked people to guess the flavour of the cake and i got a lot of responses. The best ones were Suji (Semolina), Elaichi (Cardamom), Vanilla and Banana. This is definitely on my list of things to make during Diwali! I have also made a video tutorial for the same. You may watch it on my Instagram account or on Pinterest.

Here’s what you need to make an Eggless Gulab Jamun Cake:

Ø  90gms Cake flour

Ø  90gms Gulab Jamun Mix

Ø  200gms icing sugar

Ø  ½ tsp baking powder

Ø  1/4th tsp baking soda

Ø  ½ tsp cardamom powder

Ø  240ml/1cup milk (Room temperature)

Ø  60ml oil

Ø  3tbsp nuts of your choice

 


Now that you have your ingredients simply follow the following steps:

Step 1: Mix all dry ingredients and whisk them

Step 2: Add milk and oil and fold the batter. Ensure there are no lumps.

Step 3: Line an 8 inch baking pan with butter and dust it with flour or alternatively use parchment paper.

Step 4: Pre-heat oven/microwave: 180ºC(350ºF)/160ºC(320ºF)

Step 5: Pour batter into the pan and tap twice to remove any air bubbles. Top it with nuts and bake for 35 minutes.

Step 6: Once done let the cake rest for 10 minutes, then transfer it to a cooling rack.

Step 7: You may eat it hot or cold. The cake stays well for about a day in the fridge.




Tweaks and Tricks:

Ø  Mix the nuts into the mixture instead of just topping them.

Ø  You can ice this with whipped cream flavoured with roohafza/rose essence to make it yummier.

Ø  This is a heavy dessert and extremely filling.

Ø  I used MTR, you may also use Gits.

If you enjoy reading my posts, do follow me on Instagram and Pinterest 💛

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Oceanic Velvet Cake with a Mother of Pearl Frosting©

Google Pixel XL - Review

The Crown