Apple Cinnamon Cake

 



What’s your favourite comfort food? I enjoy a variety of comfort foods – Rajma chawal, Ragada chawal, quinoa salad, watermelon and feta cheese, fruit cakes that are easy to bake. When I am feeling out of sorts or if my mind is on over drive with thoughts, I keep busy with things I know will yield good results. This Apple Cinnamon Cake is one such recipe that is not only easy to bake but is light on the stomach, easy to store and keeps for days, even months in the fridge and tastes better and better with time.

I have tried baking cakes with butter but I find they become extremely dense and aren’t as light and moist as those when made with oil. Hence my preferred fat for cakes especially if I intend to eat it over days is – oil. You can choose any oil of your choice – coconut, sunflower, vegetable oil, olive oil etc…

During winters I make fresh Apple sauce and pour it hot on Vanilla ice cream and eat it with some crackers. This combination has been my favourite so I tried to recreate this flavour of Apple, cinnamon, vanilla and cracker and to some extent the crunchy texture of the cracker. I hope you enjoy this recipe.

Here’s what you need to make an Apple Cinnamon Cake with a crunchy Cinnamon Topping:

Ø 105gms cake flour

Ø 1tsp baking powder

Ø 1/4tsp baking soda

Ø 1tsp ground cinnamon

Ø 75gms sugar

Ø ½ cup chopped apples

Ø 1 large egg

Ø ½ tsp Vanilla extract

Ø 60 ml oil

Ø 60 ml Greek yogurt

For the topping:

Ø 25gms caster sugar

Ø 1 tsp ground cinnamon

Ø 1 tbsp butter

 

Now that you have your ingredients simply follow the following steps:

Step 1: In a bowl sift all the dry ingredients at least two times.

Step 2: Then add the apple pieces to the dry ingredients and combine.

Step 3: In a large mixing bowl add the egg, vanilla, oil and yogurt and whisk it to break the egg yolk.

Step 4: Mix the dry ingredients in the wet mixture in parts (1/3 one thirds – 3 times) and gently fold.

Step 5: Preheat oven/microwave:180º (350ºF)/ 160ºC(320ºF)

Step 6: Prepare a 6 inch tin with parchment paper or grease with butter and dust it with flour.

Step 7: Pour prepared batter into tin.

Step 8: Mix the ingredients for the topping till wet and lumpy and sprinkle on top of the batter.

Step 9: Bake for 35 minutes.



Tweaks and Tricks:

Ø  You can leave out the topping and instead serve the cake hot with vanilla ice cream with a sprinkling of cinnamon powder or

Ø  You can dress it with whipped cream, sugar and cinnamon but that means more work.

Ø  I made the topping to resemble the crunch of the cracker.

 

Do follow me on Instagram and Pinterest 💛

 

Comments

Anonymous said…
The crust on top looks very inviting!
Will certainly try this soon.
Snoop Dawg said…
I'm trying this today how big or small should the apple chunks be?
Planning to serve it hot with ice cream.
@Anonymous Thank you! Do try it and let me know how it turns out:)

@Snoop Dawg, don't cut them too small or too fine, cut them into bite size chunks like you would potatoes in a potato salad. You know what, I'll edit this post with a picture answering your query.
Rohit Bharadwaj said…
Super ashwini. Looking forward to baking it shortly . But some how I do not find the idea of using oil instead of butter that appealing. Still I will give it a try.
I was also a little skeptical at first, but I have baked this cake with butter(dry and crumbly), butter & oil (50-50)(Dense) and just oil(Spongy and moist and long lasting). The results were the best when baked with oil. Hence that's what I recommend now. I use oil even in eggless cakes. This also helps in storing them in the freezer for up to 3 months and they are still just as soft and don't get crusty.

Popular posts from this blog

The Oceanic Velvet Cake with a Mother of Pearl Frosting©

Google Pixel XL - Review

RUSTY WRTING