Bohemian Rhapsody





Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy, caught in a landslide, no escape from reality… this pretty much sums up the life of the privileged during this pandemic. Those of us who are home, staying safe and social distancing and at the same time enjoying the benefits of life as we were even otherwise are yet complaining about wanting to go out  when there are families that would rather stay home but have no other option but be physically present at their work place. Can’t go to the movies? No problem, watch latest releases across streaming platforms on the tv. Worked too hard and want to blow of steam? Binge watch. Basically, the quarantine has guaranteed us one thing, that is to enjoy watching movies in the confines and comfort of our homes. Here we may hoot to our hearts content, pause when we need a loo break, rewind a scene we want to re-watch, fast forward if the story is boring but my favourite is to go back and watch bits that I liked.
When Bohemian Rhapsody had released, I wasn’t sure I wanted to watch it. But I wanted to watch it. I wanted to know if they had placed my favourite Queen songs in the movie. I hadn’t watched the trailer nor bothered to read the reviews. I was just glad to hear Queen playing everywhere when the movie had originally released. As kids when my brother and I would fight we would sing, “No time for losers…” and saunter away. (Our insults were very musical; we also have Dennis Leary to thank for that!) Have you heard of the movie –A knight’s tale? No? Okay, then may be YouTube it. We sometimes randomly sang, “We will rock you…” because everyone knew the lyrics to the song but here is where I will tell you about a band called Five that originally introduced me to this song? Not heard of them? Okay… never mind.
Just like the Beatles, Beegees, Led Zeppelin, Police, Nirvana, Rolling stones, Simon and Garfunkel -Queen is also a favourite in our house.
The movie is exactly how they describe it - “A foot stomping tribute of Queen, their music and their extraordinary lead singer Freddie Mercury.”
I have given up on one thing – expecting movies to be anything close to real life or as portrayed in the books they are based on. This is a pet peeve of mine that I must leave behind. When I began watching this movie, I sang along with all the songs, but I kept shaking my head at every chronological mistake they made. I don’t know EVERYTHING about Queen, but I am aware of the order in which their albums and singles were released.
There was just ONE untrue bit in the movie that I loved and that was the portrayal of Ray Foster (A fictional character) by Mike Myers who after listening to Bohemian Rhapsody  suggests they use ‘I’m in love with my car’ as the single to be released for their album the night at the opera, “That’s the kind of song teenagers can crank up the volume in their car and bang their heads to. Bohemian Rhapsody will never be that song.” – Cut to Wayne’s World, 1992. If you haven’t watched this movie then you have certainly missed out on something. I will be linking the scene I am referring to here.
What are you a fan of? Music or lyrics? I love the lyrics, always have always will. The music matters too, but what’s the point if the words aren’t good? I also enjoy songs which don’t always make sense – Fandango, Scaramouche, Galileo, Dog town, blood bath, rib cage, soft tail….
By the way, what’s your favourite Queen song? I love “I want it all”, it was one of my many go to songs in college.  (I am a Rock by Simon and Garfunkel and Be yourself by Audioslave were the 3 songs I listened to over and over again for 5 years of law college.) I also LOVE under pressure. Have you heard its lyrics? My favourite bit is towards the end…
 'Cause love's such an old-fashioned word
And love dares you to care for
The people on the edge of the night
And love (people on streets) dares you to change our way of
Caring about ourselves
This is our last dance
This is our last dance
This is ourselves under pressure
Under pressure
Pressure’
These lyrics have always resonated with me. Now, coming back to the movie, it’s very dramatic with Freddie Mercury’s diagnosis of AIDS and how Queen was added last minute to the Live Aid show when in reality it wasn’t and Queen got to know of Freddie’s diagnosis a few years later but people probably need the drama. I mean if it isn’t a love story where the audience has to wait with bated breath to watch the two lovers unite against all odds what’s the point? Right? So, here they added that bit of conflict, the uneasiness of uniting for a cause, putting aside their differences for a friend who didn’t have much time on the life clock all to be called QUEEN on the stage again.
For the record Queen never disbanded, they weren't a last minute addition to the Live Aid concert. That is such travesty! For people like me, who sat through these untruths, painfully aware that all of it was a bunch of lies told to buy an audience, it was, is and will always be difficult to watch unnecessary spice added to an otherwise good story because at the end of the day it was the songs that got us all going. Just the songs…
She’s a killer queen,
Gunpowder, gelatine,
Dynamite with a laser beam,
Guaranteed to blow your mind… Anytime


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Oceanic Velvet Cake with a Mother of Pearl Frosting©

Google Pixel XL - Review

The Crown