Mango cheesecake



Hello reader, this time I am back with a recipe post. In the previous recipe post – Vanilla sponge withbuttercream frosting I had mentioned my backup cake. Well, the back up was just as light and delightful as the genoise and it was bursting with mangoness. I had asked Marley to buy me half a dozen ripe mangoes that were ready to eat. I refrigerated them to chill completely before I transformed them into a delightful disk of cheesecake.

I had previously made an Oreo cheesecake and Litchi Cheesecake in one I had used curd in the other fresh cream. I wanted to retain the primary flavour of mangoes and a hint of salty-cheesy flavour from the cream cheese. Therefore, I decided to completely skip any additives to add volume to the cake. I could have passed this cake as a completely natural cake if I had used a setting agent that wasn’t gelatine.

Here’s what you need to make a mango cheesecake:

Ø 160gms of biscuits (any, but after using digestive biscuits I found that they set really well)
Ø 50gms unsalted butter at room temperature
Ø 150gms cream cheese at room temperature
Ø 4+1 mango puree at room temperature
Ø 5 tbsp + 3tbsp powdered sugar (do reduce it if the mango is really sweet.)
Ø 10+ 5 gms gelatine
Ø Water

Now that you have your ingredients simply follow the following steps:

Step 1: In a mixer grinder, powder the biscuit and then transfer to a bowl. Add 50gms butter and mix well.

Step 2: Take a 9inch tin and line with butter paper or cling wrap and then pour the biscuit mixture and flatten it to the base. Once done refrigerate.

Step 3: In a mixing bowl empty the cream cheese and beat it till fluffy. Then add ONLY 2 tbsps sugar to the cream cheese and mix well. (Taste the mango puree and accordingly add sugar only if needed). If no sugar is needed proceed to add puree made of 4 mangoes and fold it into the cream cheese mixture (fold only, do not beat). Set aside.

Step 4: Blooming the gelatine: Take a 10gms sachet of gelatine and empty it in to a small glass bowl. Add just about enough water to wet the gelatine. Add hot water in a bigger bowl and then place the bowl with gelatine in the hot water. Ensure that hot water doesn't get into the gelatine bowl. Slowly stir it, once it melts add a little bit of the mango cheese mixture in it and mix well.

Step 5: Immediately pour it into the remaining mango cheese mixture and fold it in. Remove the cake tin and pour the mixture into the tin. Refrigerate for 2 hours.

Step 6: After 2 hours, puree the 5th mango and taste it. If it requires sugar, add some accordingly and make sure the same is dissolved.

Step 7: Bloom 5gms gelatine and add it to the purée. Mix well.

Step 8: Remove tin from the fridge and pour the puree on top of the cheesecake evenly. Let it set in the fridge - overnight or for 8 hours.


Tweaks and Tricks:

Ø  I didn’t have parchment paper, so I used cling wrap to line my dish. I found this video extremely helpful to keep the wrap in place - Lining your dish with cling wrap.

Ø  If the mangoes are sweet skip sugar completely.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Oceanic Velvet Cake with a Mother of Pearl Frosting©

Google Pixel XL - Review

Desitude