Baingan Ka Bharta




When I was rummaging through the fridge I saw two aubergines and asked my mother if I could cook one. Once I got her nod, I promptly went on the net and looked for recipes. Like I almost always do, I landed on Sharmi’s post on Baingan Ka Bharta and decided to give it a go.

When I read the recipe I wasn’t sure if I’d like what I was cooking. As it happens I am not particularly fond of Brinjal. I have avoided it when I could. Making this was mostly for the blog. Yes, I’ve resorted to culinary experiments just so that I can post it on the blog! BUT the reason why I even want to blog about this is because I loved what I cooked. I actually enjoyed the bharta and wanted to eat more!

Ingredients:
1 Aubergine
2 Onions (Medium)
2 Tomatoes (Medium)
1 Tsp Finely chopped garlic
1.5 Tsp Red chilli powder
1 Tsp Garam masala
2 Tsp Finely chopped coriander leaves (Optional)
2 Tsp Oil
1 Tsp Jeera (Cumin seeds)
Salt

Method:

You need some serious ninja skills to maneuver the aubergine in throes of fire.

1.              Wash and pat dry the aubergine and cut its crown. Grease it with 2 or 3 drops of oil and as shown in the picture insert stake or fork and cook it directly on the stove top on slow flame till it is cooked on the inside. (It took approximately 5 – 6 minutes for it to cook) 
The joy of peeling this is the same as peeling off the scab from a wound.

          When done, set aside and let it cool down. Once it cools down, remove skin and mash the insides of the aubergine with a fork and set aside.

Here lie the heads of the enemies.

2.               Finely chop the onions, tomatoes and garlic and set aside.

3.             Heat a pan and add 2 Tsp of oil and 1 Tsp jeera. Once the jeera crackles add the garlic and then the onions. Let the onions toast for a bit till they are slightly brown. Once brown, add the tomatoes and cook till the tomatoes are done. Now add the chilli powder, garam masala and salt and let it cook for just under a minute.


4.           Finally add the aubergine paste and mix well and continue cooking on medium flame for about 3 to 5 minutes and you are done.

Notes:

1.       If like me, you don’t like brinjal too much add more onions. Though I have mentioned 2 onions in the recipe, I used 3.
2.            Always cook the aubergine from the base to the crown because when it’s done, the insides start spluttering near the crown and because it grows soft on the inside it gets difficult to hold the aubergine with the fork/stake.
3.               Peeling off the skin is easier when you oil the aubergine.




Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow.. Looks yum n such a easy recipe. Thank u.
Bob said…
Thank you :) we hope you try it and enjoy it as much as we did :)

Popular posts from this blog

The Oceanic Velvet Cake with a Mother of Pearl Frosting©

Google Pixel XL - Review

Desitude