Dhaba Style Masoor Dal




Marley and I love food and we enjoy cooking. Growing up, my mother never asked either my brother or me to help her in the kitchen except of course to wipe the washed vessels dry. This I guess played a huge role in my interest in cooking as an adult. My mother has always treated chores as life skills; be it making our bed on waking up, drying the bathroom completely after use or instead of putting our vessels in the sink, just make a habit of at least washing our own plates after a meal. She hasn’t differentiated between my brother and me when it came to chores or cooking. We learnt the basics when we were ready to leave the nest and she later helped fill in our respective recipe books gradually with recipes of things we are fond of.

Marley and his brother are also no strangers in the kitchen and both make really good ginger tea. Like most of my readers I have spammed Marley and his brother with my post links every time they go up. For the purposes of this blog let’s call my brother-in-law – Jim (He’ll understand). During the lockdown Jim was also experimenting in the kitchen and chanced on this lovely smelling-tasting and easy to make Masoor dal recipe on YouTube. He said, try it, it’s easy, you’ll like it. [It also so happened that I had asked Marley to buy us some dal moth but the store guy handed him Masoor.]  I tried it, I liked it so I made it again and tweaked it for my taste to put it up on the blog.

Without further ado here’s the, ‘Dhaba Style Masoor Dal’ recipe.

Ingredients:

1.     200gms masoor dal
2.     1big onion, diced
3.     1big tomato, diced
4.     3 green chillies
5.     1Tsp ginger-garlic paste (Use fresh paste)
6.     ½ Tsp turmeric powder
7.     1tsp red chilli powder
8.     1 tsp coriander powder
9.     3/4th  tsp pepper powder
10. 1 Tbsp. Oil
11. Salt



Method:
1.    Soak the masoor dal for 30 minutes or longer, depending on the water. We have hard water so I soak it for longer. (You can make this dal either in a pressure cooker or a pan, I use pressure cooker again for the same reason – hard water.)
2.     In a pressure cooker heat oil and add the onions and sauté till they turn light brown. Then add the ginger-garlic paste and mix well and cook till the raw smell is gone.
3.    Then slit the green chillies and cut them into pieces and add to the pan and sauté for 30 seconds on high flame.
4.  Then reduce the flame and add all the powders – turmeric, chilli, pepper, coriander and salt. Increase flame and mix well.
5.    Then add the tomato and mix well and cook till the raw smell leaves.
6.     Now add the masoor dal and mix it into the masala.
7.   Then add water – if you have used pav/cup for measurement then add two pav/cup water basically the ratio is -  dal:water::1:2.
8.   Put the cooker lid and cook on high flame till the first whistle. Then lower the flame to medium and cook for 2 more whistles.
9.     Once done transfer to a serving dish and garnish with coriander leaves.
10. Serve it hot with rotis or steamed rice.

Notes:
·        You can use full/sabut masoor dal or split masoor too.
·        You can add three cups of water instead of two if you want more gravy.
·     The original recipe requires adding friend onions on top as garnish. We are in the middle of a heatwave, in order to sustain the dal for the day, I decided to do away with the onion garnish.
·        For the video recipe click this link --> Dhaba Style Masoor Dal
                                         

Comments

Unknown said…
Wow looks yummy
Recipe nice
Thank you so much! Do try it and let me know if you enjoy it :)

Popular posts from this blog

The Oceanic Velvet Cake with a Mother of Pearl Frosting©

Google Pixel XL - Review

Desitude