Spring Onion Curry



SPRING ONION CURRY

I woke up yesterday with a foreboding that my day was going to be hectic and nobody wants their Sunday ruined at the cost of something that keeps them occupied most part of the week. I woke up grumpy and I knew I had to vent. I opened the fridge and saw spring onions and decided to make something out of it.

Now, the thing is – I didn’t enter the kitchen thinking, “Oooh… this will make a good blog post. No.” It was more of a, “Oooh spring onions… chop chop and snip snip… mwahahahahaha.” While I was delightfully chopping the scallions I found my anger ebbing away. I had given life to my imagination of decapitating several heads in the form of neatly chopped vegetables and that is when I decided to start snapping photographs for the blog.

This recipe comes from my kitchen with minimal experimenting with basic ingredients and my current favourite thing – Ching’s Hot Sauce.

RECIPE
Ingredients
·        Spring onions – 2 bunches
·        Tomato – 1 Large
·        Garam Masala – 3/4th Teaspoon
·        Chilli Powder – ½ Teaspoon
·        Coriander powder – ½ Teaspoon
·        Turmeric – A pinch
·        Fennel seeds – 1Teaspoon
·        Mustard – 1 Teaspoon
·        Ching’s Hot Sauce – 2Teaspoon
·        Oil – 1Tablespoon
·        Salt



Estimated time to cook: 20 Mins
Serves: 3 Adults

Method
1.   Chop the spring onions into two portions i.e chop and slice away the bulbs and  keep them separate and then chop the leaves and keep them aside. Don’t mix the two. Dice the tomatoes and set aside.



2.     In a pan, take oil and add mustard and fennel seeds let the mustard splutter and then add the “bulb” portion of the spring onion. Stir it till the whites and pinks of the onion slightly change to a brown.Then add tomatoes.


3.    Once the raw smell of tomatoes is gone, add the spices and hot sauce and give it a stir. Then add the “leaves” of the spring onion and mix it well. Let it cook for 5 minutes.


4.     Once the spring onion shrinks, you can estimate the amount of salt required. Add it and Viola! Your dish is ready.

Tips:

1.      You can add other vegetables to this.
2.      You can pair this up with chapattis or hot rice and dal.

Let us know if you try and like it.😀

Comments

Anonymous said…
This looks interesting! I’d always thought of springs onions as mere garnish.
Bob said…
Hey! Thank you for your comment. Even I hadn't given it much thought till I started watching Korean food shows where they use spring onions as the main ingredient. I was fascinated by the same and tried this out.

Popular posts from this blog

The Oceanic Velvet Cake with a Mother of Pearl Frosting©

Google Pixel XL - Review

Desitude