Being Lawyer


Being a lawyer is fun in most parts but on some occasions it can do to your mind what prisoners feel in solitary confinement. I enjoy the work that I do because when I started I had the option of choosing what cases I wanted to concentrate on. Once you get into litigation it is good to gain exposure in all branches – criminal, civil, personal laws, banking, corporate litigation you name it and just dip your finger tips and toes in it.

When I started practice I made just one request to my senior – To not assign any family court cases to me. I can’t go near family court cases because I believed that I was jinxed when it came to those cases. He phoo-phooed me and the very first solo case that I drafted and filed in my life was a divorce case. Let me just say that the case never saw the inside of a court hall. The incident only made my resolve stronger to never ever handle a family case again.

In college I had spent most of my 8th and 9th semester in family court helping in the mediation process which involved counselling couples. I remember coming home exhausted and angry. The reasons that the couples gave were so asinine that the very idea that the two were actually permitted to enter matrimony baffles me. On some occasions I was glad that the couple in question hadn’t procreated. The idea of morons multiplying is what my nightmares are made of.

I stubbornly continued to refuse family court cases. Until one fine day a friend called and asked to meet up with me. I hadn’t met this friend for over 13 years and I was just glad to catch up with her because she and I shared plenty of common interests which is why inspite of not having met for over a decade we could still catch up and discuss life as it is today instead of leaping back in time and reliving school memories. As we sat speaking I knew intuitively that I would soon be her lawyer. I waited for her to broach the topic.

She eventually told me that she had decided to seek for a divorce and wanted to know the procedure and duration to obtain a court order to the same effect. As a lawyer I had sworn that I would try and stay in the bounds of what is right and not step out of my moral boundaries that I have been drawing since childhood. Hers was a love marriage and I am a believer in all things love. (Yes, way down in the bottom of my heart and in some random corner in my mind I am a passive aggressive romantic who believes that if you’ve loved someone at some point of time in your life no matter what happens next the fact that you loved that person trumps all else that you feel and just set the person free if that is the only way to move forward. Try not to make a mess. If parting ways is the only way to go clink glasses, cheer each other for a better future. Move on.) I like to think that I can bifurcate between the friend and client barrier without difficulty. Clinically I laid out her options. One of the options I recommended was divorce by mutual consent which would take about 6 to 7 months from the date of filing and that she and her husband would be required to be present in the court on the date of filing the case and 6 months later when they are required to file their affidavits stating that they haven’t retracted their decision to separate. That is when my friend told me that before she approached me she had consulted with another lawyer. This lawyer hadn’t even suggested a Mutual consent divorce but had instead told her that the he could help her get half of her husband’s property and told her the case would be long drawn and could take years. After stating all this he quoted an exorbitant fee and put his hand forward to seal the deal.

This particular lawyer specie is the kind that drags cases only to fill their pocket, because god forbid if a case closed too soon how would he fend for himself? Such lawyers always live in the constant fear of losing their monthly fee that their gullible clients pay. People fear courts. I wish people didn’t. I want people to look at courts as an approachable forum to actually get the relief they seek for the violation of their rights. That is not going to happen. People have this deep seated fear in the judiciary and a little girl can only try to dispense the fear but it is the clients job to actually let go of that fear.

When I started out as a newbie I would patiently explain the process and tell the  client in explicit detail my plan of action and encourage a Q & A session after I charted out my plan for them. This worked well with some, some didn’t want any details and some just got more nervous because they thought I was talking too much to cover up the lack of any fruitful conclusion to their case. I had to pull out my human sieve and learnt to separate the clients who wanted to be in the loop, the ones who didn’t and the ones I preferred never enter the court hall. Having done that it was relatively easy to proceed with cases.

I was given complete freedom to do as I pleased with the files assigned to me. Young lawyers rarely get to argue/cross examine witnesses within a month of starting practice. I just got very lucky. With that started my experiments and pretty soon I was called the little girl who managed to close cases within a year without even troubling the client to step in to the witness box. All was fine until the land mafia decided to just make my life a wee bit more interesting. I guess self-defense and police protection is covered under my job description.

Being a lawyer is interesting because I have met people from all walks of life. Seen what desperation does to people. Seen how wealth sees no kindness and have seen families prey on each other like their life has no meaning beyond a piece of land. If it were possible I’d say I became more cynical. The clients crib, cry and complain about everything.

The following are some specimens of the clients I have had to represent:
The Paranoid Client:There are some clients who are so paranoid that they suspect their own lawyer of sabotaging the case. In the 5 years that I have practiced I have been accused by one such client of this. I am a competitor. I LOVE to win. I am not even ashamed to admit it. When I step in the court hall I have no friends. It is just my clients interest that are my priority and I prepare for every case like that is my only case. Thus when a client accuses me of sabotaging his case, I do the only decent thing I can do, I give him his file and ask him to leave. (I don’t wish such people good luck, come on I am Human.)

I Need to see it to believe it: This specie usually looks at my face and wonders why the youngest person in the office has been assigned the file. I sympathize with them because I know what they are thinking – Dear good god! Why her? Am I going to lose my case? Is that why it is assigned to her? Is my case really that simple that this person is handling it?
I ask such clients to be present in the Court Hall for their case. I don’t say much else. After this client sees me in the court and sees how I present my case I know I have won them over and trust has thereby been established. From thereon they are the nicest clients to have.

I trust you completely: This specie is rare but they exist and I have found that when a client puts so much faith in me I find myself  being petrified because I don’t know what about me appealed to them that they decided to trust me completely and not question my methods. I take more care in their cases because when you are as young as me and someone trusts you to know exactly what you are doing to protect their entire life’s earning you have no other option but to deliver. As overwhelming as their trust is, it is just as powerful in knowing that you can actually safeguard their interest.

Being a lawyer also helps one get to know oneself better. I started out as being cynical. I have become more hard hearted over the past 5 years. I am a workaholic who discovered her love for whiskey and Amon Amarth. I also found that I have a dual personality. Outside the court hall I am being a human being. Inside the court hall I unleash my lawyer – self. The Court hall is my turf and I am the King. The kind of comfort I feel inside a court hall makes me smile. I don’t feel that kind of comfort with people but here I am surrounded by people arguing on behalf of a person and yet when I speak, in my mind the court hall is empty, it is just the judge and I trying to convince the judge to rule in my favor. My behavior inside the court hall is the complete antithesis of how I am otherwise.

It is a demanding profession. A time sucker. I tend to fall off the grid while I work. I know what is happening around the world and in the country but I can’t pay too much attention to all the details because I am busy saving the human race and fighting crime for real. What are you doing?

P.S: If you like your whisky - Try Amrut, Indian Single Malt Whisky. It is out of this world.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Oceanic Velvet Cake with a Mother of Pearl Frosting©

Google Pixel XL - Review

Desitude