What's your Rashee? And your mom's? And your dad's?

The most random purchase I made was yesterday when I picked up Linda Goodman’s Sun signs for just INR 80 at a second hand book store. While I walked back to my habitat I kept wondering why I purchased this book. Too late, I had the book in my hands.

FACT: I had borrowed this book earlier from a friend and read it too.[6 years ago.]


At one point of time in college I was obsessed with sun signs etc… but eventually I realized that we are who we want to be. KT and I also discussed this book at length and concluded that everybody on the planet cannot be divided into 12 categories and have traits similar to the ones mentioned in the book. I like to believe we are all unique and we have our own distinct qualities which separates us from the rest.


Let me take myself for example. I am a Leo. But if one goes by what L.G has to say I might be mistaken for a Libran because I have a dimple. Apparently the venus dimple is a very distinctive feature of all Librans. Apparently ALL Librans have dimples. So why am I not a Libran? L.G explains that as well. She says that if a person with a dimple is not a Libran, they will surely have an ascendant who is a Libran. Over this point I nodded my head. My Ma’s a Libran and she has dimples (Amazing ones I might add.) So I hmmmed and nodded my way through several pages of the book.


If I have read a book and I am reading it again after a long time I still feel like I am reading it for the first time. When I was reading about the Leo Woman I probably rolled my eyes a million times. Because I personally don’t think I fit the description. Because I think everyone has an ego and that it is healthy to have one. [Will explain the healthy ego in a later post, but for now think of it as the conscience that keeps telling you to do better at every step without bothering about what anybody else says.] I like spending money, we all do. That doesn’t mean I don’t save. I love gifts so does EVERYONE. I clown around with my friends and family (who else do I fool around with?). Nobody can be themselves around strangers. I have patience, but if people are being unreasonably slow… then yes I might blow my fuse. I am not proud, but I have been told that I am not an approachable person. When a person does feel it is okay to approach me, the person gets some major icy treatment from me. [This was told to me by a friend who is a very good friend now.]


People can’t really figure me out till they talk to me and spend time with me. Also, I react differently to everyone I know. Hence this whole generalizing business is not really a done deal. There is more to a person than being just born on a certain date of a certain month.


Cancer and Libra are my direct ascendants. Now if I have a trait which is specific to another sun sign it is again because of my ascendants. My paternal grandparents belong to Aries and Scorpio. My maternal grandparents belong to Aries and Sagittarius group. So I probably have a lot of Aries influence on me given that both my grand dads were Aries. With a wee bit of influence of the other ascendants. I pretty much cover 6 out of the 12 signs. Now if I had only dug deeper and found out about my Great Grand parents I am sure I would have covered all the 12 signs.


So does it really matter what my Sun Sign is?

Comments

Matthew said…
I not au fait with the references, but I can see that you are interested in discovering your identity. I am a scorpio, but am nothing like a scorpio. My mother is also a scorpio and my father is an aquarius. I don't know exactly whether that influences things but I'd expect to be more of a scorpio than I am.
Still, I'm actually quite glad that none of this seems to hold. It seems like we have a bit more freedom without the idea of what we are supposed to be like? What do you think?
When people are classified into groups like the zodiac signs, they tend to alter their behavior to match the aspects that are emphasized as being the main traits of their sun sign. While one does so, they lose a little of themselves, because they are merely imitating the "supposed" behavior of their sign. Hence it is much nicer not to be classified.
mumofason said…
@ Ash

I thoroughly agree that division into various sun signs will certainly lead to people thinking 'oh my sun sign traits are this way..' thus ending up being a certain way when in fact their basic traits may not even be that! I really wonder what the world would be like if there existed no sun signs or classifications. :)
People would be robbed of reading their signs daily predictions in the news paper :D
Matthew said…
People would be less socially controlled and have one less habit, that's true, but they might also miss that little bit of magic that signs profess that their lives inherently partake in. That has to be worth something too. What do you think?
Yogi said…
FYI, Ascendant in astrology doesn't refer to your paternal or maternal lineage but it is the sign rising on eastern horizon at the time of your birth. In sidereal astrology and fixed house astrology systems, this ascending sign is synonymous to first house!
Based on what L.G has written in her book, the Ascendant definition applies to the parent. Of course if she was talking about the houses and whatever else astrology deals with she would have had to discss the descendants as well right?
Bt she has only made a mention of Ascendants and the reference here being - direct ascendants.
may i ask what is an indirect ascendant then?
My knowledge about houses/ascendants/descendants is nil.
Yogi said…
I have never read L.G.(even my TV is Samsung and not LG :D)

Astrology is NOT about sun sign. Even at the most generic level, what is seen first is the the ascendant / rising sign / first house. The next is asterism in which natal moon is placed, then the moon sign and house in which it is located, and then the sun sign and house in which it is located. Not to mention about 7 other planets and their signs, placements, exaltation, debilitation, conjunction, aspects, periods of influence, sub-divisional charts etc. etc. etc.

If you want a glimpse of what real astrology is about then pick up "Light on life" by Robert Svoboda and Hart de fouw - Penguin India.

And if you are really curious about astrology then:
http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Nirvana-Vedic-Astrology-Jyotish-for-beginners/lm/R2S3ZZSHOCZ4ML/ref=cm_lm_byauthor_title_full

Popular posts from this blog

The Oceanic Velvet Cake with a Mother of Pearl Frosting©

Google Pixel XL - Review

Desitude